|Early History||1960 to 1969||1970 to 1979||1980 to 1989|
|1990 to 1999||2000 to 2009||2010 to 2019||2020 to 2029|
We are slowly piecing together and publishing the history of the Group, so far we have completed 1915 to 1989, a few items from the 90’s and 2005 to 2018.
Below is the earliest history, up to 1959. For the decades following, use the links above.
If anyone has any additional information especially from the 90’s or spots anything which is incorrect please Contact Us.
Early History Pre-1940
It is believed that Scouting has existed in Trentham since 1910, only 3 years after Baden Powell’s first camp on Brownsea Island, and the birth of Scouting. The first meetings may have been held in the Old Village Hall and there were camps at Beech for which equipment was transported by Trek Cart. The Group was probably disbanded due to the First World War or the Recession that followed.
Scouting possibly then existing in Trentham 1929, as a “Church Scout Group” which had two Scout Patrols, Peewits (Patrol Leader George Hughes and Assistant Walter Hughes) and Owls (Patrol Leader George Bennett and Assistant Norman Hazard) the ‘Scoutmaster’ was probably the Vicar, Mr. Jones.
We also believe there was a “Rover Crew” for the staff of the Clearing Bank billeted in Trentham during the Second World war.
It is not really clear what happened in the early years, let us know if you have any information.
Trentham Scout Group was officially registered with The Boy Scout Association on 12th August 1940 and the Group HQ address was stated as being “Sculpture Gallery, Trentham Gardens”
The Group was officially named “114th City of Stoke-on-Trent (1st Trentham) because, it was the 114th Scout Group to be registered in the area (see the full list on our District site here) and was the 1st Scout Group to be registered in Trentham (there’s never been a 2nd)
The Group officially opened with 1 Scouter and 5 Rover Scouts, but shortly afterwards Miss Carter, Miss Williams and Miss Veysey (who had worked in the Clearing Banks at Trentham Gardens during World War II) started the Wolf Cub Pack (now Cub Scouts). Wolf Cubs met in either the vestry or the “First Aid Centre” in the Sculpture Gallery at Trentham Gardens .
Clearing Bank at Trentham Gardens (Source: The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery)
Roger Butler then ran the Scout Troop early in 1941. However, having just joined the Scout Troop he received his calling-up papers and promptly disappeared into the Royal Navy. This left the Scout Troop with ten to twelve members with the eldest being sixteen and the youngest being twelve. Trentham having never had anything interesting for young people, decided to carry on with the Scout Troop.
The Scout Troop gradually grew to around the twenty four mark. They performed much as any other Scout Troop would have at that time. Some were A.R.P. (Air Raid Patrols) message runners, others assisted at the First Aid Post. The usual collection of jam jars, on which 1/2d (old money) per jar was made at regular intervals, providing a steady income and proving what a lot of jam was eaten in Trentham.
It was at the end of 1941 that the Scout Troop managed to get use of the Parish Room which served as a Headquarters for many years. This was due to the help and interest of the Vicar at that time Rev. E. A. Grimes. The Parish Room was behind “Trentham Parish School” which was situated on the A34
Group records quote the Group Chairman in 1972 writing – “Many will remember as I do the times 14-15 years ago when the Scouts and Cubs used to meet in a tiny one-roomed cottage near the Mausoleum – happy days, but dreadfully squashed and impossible to last. Rise in population meant the work was hampered beyond toleration and in any case the developers’ bulldozers roller it flat“
Papers and books were also collected at regular intervals for salvage and at one stage, having completely filled the room to a depth of 4 feet, the Salvage Authority decided that they had too much to deal with, and that they were unable to move it. After a few Scout Troop meetings on, in and under the paper, it was eventually moved.
With the arrival of Marshall Amor (the legendary C.M.A.) in Trentham the Scout Troop began to settle down. His help and guidance soon established the Scout Troop on a sound footing. So much so that throughout the war years, and for a period afterwards, the Troop ran itself without a Scoutmaster always finding a young man with the ability to keep things moving.
Post war years did not bring much help and again the Scout Troop was forced to run itself, though fortunately at this time A. Kellam arrived on the scene. Working for Wedgwoods, after much of his life—time abroad, he proved to be a staunch and sound supporter Early members were:— D. Lysett, John Hussey, Eric Baggley, R. Allerton, John and Jim Grantham, J. Townsend. John and Peter Bailey.
Front Row: No ID, Marshall Amor, Cub Brian Ward, two King Scouts, Cub Desney Paul 2nd Row: Cub Lionel Whitehead, Cub Ken Buckley, Scout Eric Baggley, Scout John Walker, Cub Peter Whitehurst Top row believed to be one of the Scout Masters John Parton.
Hardships caused by the Second World War had resulted in the Group’s neckerchief being made of Blackout material with the boy’s mothers embroidering a camp fire on the point. After the War the Scouting HQ issued a directive banning black neckerchiefs and a new design (red and blue) was worn
Please contact us if you have any more memories of Trentham Scout Group during this time period.
You can leave a comment on this page using the below form, your email address will not will appear on the comment. All comments will need approval so will not appear immediately.